Monday, November 19, 2007

Archives #6 - New Shoes, New Shoes on my Feet


Sunday, July 29, 2007
New Shoes, New Shoes on my feet
I'm a shoe girl. Nope, haven't always been a shoe girl but for the past few years my love has grown...and grown. I have red shoes, orange shoes, green shoes tall shoes, flat shoes, shoes with zippers, buckles, peep toes and laces. There's even a pair of leopard print pumps in there (thanks Annie) and no, I have not had the guts to wear them yet.
Taking that into account, probably my favorite pair of shoes at this very moment are these:


No, it's not the stark white exterior (although I am a fan of the "lightning/kiwi/navy" color combo), it's what's inside that counts.
There's just something about new running shoes that make me, the never-meant-to-be-an-athlete type, feel like I could run a marathon. Right now.
I never quite knew what that felt like until last year when I finally broke down and went to Fleet Feet to get "fitted" for running shoes that actually fit me and are good for what I use them for and won't make me feel arthritic after a half a mile stroll down my street. So, I went in, got fitted, spent my $90 and immediately went home with extreme buyers remorse. $90? on shoes? Yeah, not something this girl on a budget does, needs to do, or can do for that matter. I promptly found them online for $30 cheaper and returned the expensive pair to the store, tail between my legs, embarrased and guilty that they spent time fitting me and I didn't buy from them.
The truth is, I have a guilty conscience and feel guilty about almost everything so it wore off pretty quick when I put those babies on my out-of-shape feet.
I began to run down my street and actually noticed the lack of back pain, knee pain and hip pain. No sir, these new Asics weren't my former New Balances from the sale rack. These had, what's the word.....support! I ran my entire trek around my neighborhood and wanted to run more. I began to think crazy thoughts of training for the marathon and buying a new sports bra. I was a runner! A real live runner!
For those of you that know my "athletic" history, you will know that it is short and uneventful. I used to whine and get out of P.E. I would always get this cramp in my foot that made it feel "like it was going to rip in half" and so I would get out of any long distance walk or run that I could. I didn't run my first mile till I was 19. For me to feel like a "runner" is absurd.
All that to say, the first pair of real live running shoes have since lost all means of support and have been reduced to mowing(ha! I don't mow)/camping/OLD shoes. I found a new pair of the same model, new year shoes (also for $30 cheaper, I might add) and received them in the mail this week. Tonight was the first night I was able to put them on and I promptly ran 3 miles...with a Golden Retriever for 1 1/2. I had energy, stamina and my legs feel great.
Now, I'm not going to go crazy and actually consider the marathon (I have what, 9 months, to think about it?) but I just might go for that new sports bra.

No comments: