Saturday, May 24, 2008

Moving on and moving up!

In November of 2006 I wrote the following snippet. I didn't feel comfortable at the time to post it so I left it saved in a word document never to be seen...until now. Check back tomorrow for the exciting next chapter in a story about a girl...and her diamonds.

November, 2006

Now I’m not one to brag, but I have been blessed with very generous boyfriends who wanted me to have nice things. By nice things, I mean jewelry. Now don’t get carried away, we were young and so I’m quite sure that anyone in the Kennedy family would be less than impressed with my jewels but they were special, they meant something to me at the time, and I fell blessed to have loved and been loved. Having that said, I am currently single which means that those relationships although sweet at the time, alas, did not last.

However, diamonds are forever and although I tried to return them, neither party would hear of it so I kept them. I kept them in my drawer, to come out every now and then for special occasions in order to dress up what I was wearing. Somehow even though I no longer had feelings for either of these boyfriends, the jewelry was just plagued with feelings of the past. Feelings of should-haves and didn’ts and somehow I felt almost as if I were “pledging allegiance” to the past relationships when I wore them. So I stopped. I stopped wearing the diamond three-stone pendant and the diamond “I love you” ring. There they sat, collecting dust, taking up space, not serving any purpose at all whatsoever except to occasionally remind me of the past which is something I try not to dwell on.

So, having lots of things lying around just means that you have to dust those things so I decided to downsize, well, upgrade. I took those pretty little jewels in to the jeweler, determined the value of both, and upgraded. I am now the proud owner of a ¼ carat round cut diamond pendant set in white gold and I love it. No strings attached; well, except for the box-cut chain, and no hard feelings.


Just as those relationships led me to who I am now and developed me as a person, my souvenirs from those relationships allowed me to make a lovely contribution towards a lovely necklace.

Here’s to moving on and moving up!

No comments: